Sunday, September 8, 2013

Disciples???? A sermon based on Luke 14:25-33

If I say the word disciple- what comes to mind?  Do you think about those 12 guys we find in the pages of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John- those 12 guys who walked the highways and by-ways of the Holy Land with Jesus over 2000 years ago?

If I asked you to name some disciples- who would you name?  Would you think of Peter,-  the Rock on which Christ will build his church-  do you think of James or John nicknamed the sons of thunder,   what about Thomas-  who was challenged to put his hand in the wounds of Jesus?    

When I asked to you to name some disciples?  Did anyone look around and think of someone sitting in a nearby pew?  When I said to name disciples did you think of Deacon Lee back there?   Or Bishop Franklin?   Did you think of folks who wear white plastic collars around their necks?  Do we think of disciples as people who lived long ago who followed Jesus?   Do we reserve the word disciple for the Holy People in our midst?

But what about ourselves- when you looked in the mirror this morning- did you think-I’m a disciple- I’m a follower of Christ? Probably not.   

I realized something this week- that when I think of disciples, that when I talk about disciples, when I talk about followers of Jesus from this pulpit- I think of all you- I don’t often think of Peter or Andrew or James or John-- When  I think of the disciples I think of you – I think of  20-30 kids downstairs in Sunday School- the acolytes sitting back that -- when I think of disciples  I think of people shut- in at home.   But I realized for the first time in seven years that you probably don’t think about yourselves as disciples. I realized that when Jesus mentions disciple- you are probably not thinking ding-ding-ding-ding that’s me. 

Curious to dig deeper into this word disciple--- I consulted an online dictionary-- Now there were two ways that this dictionary defined disciple the first was “a personal follower of Jesus during his time- the second way it defined disciple was more generic it said- a follower or student of a teacher, leader, or philosopher.  That definition leaves room for you and I to be included in the pantheon of disciples.

[A couple of weeks ago,  I went over to meet with my spiritual director,  while I was there he asked me what would be the focus of my ministry in the year ahead.  One of the things that I told him,  that as the pastor of St. Mark’s I would like to help my flock to live more fully into this thing we call discipleship, I want to help them to live more fully into being followers of Christ. I realized that my ministry is to challenge- to poke, to prod to get us --to think about what it means to be 21st century followers of Jesus in Orchard Park New York? ]

Now that we’ve established that this word disciple includes you and I along with that pantheon official disciples like Peter and Andrew—who really wants to be one after what we hear Jesus say today about discipleship – Tough words to swallow- when Jesus says  Whoever comes to me and does not hate, [HATE] father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sister,… and even life itself cannot be my disciple. 

Anyone want to sign on for that?  If that is the case Jesus, you can have your discipleship. 

Someone I heard this week commenting on the text said- don’t forget that they kill this guy at the end of the story- and not because he’s all warm and fuzzy- but because he says things that are so threatening to the culture he was living the powers that be can’t let it go on any longer and they nail his body to the cross.
But does Jesus really means what he says or is this a case of hyperbole? Does being disciple really mean we should hate father or mother? Probably not-- there are plenty of other accounts in the gospel where Jesus advocates for family values.    But I think this passage is still meant to challenge us. 

Listen to how Emilie Townes describes discipleship and what this  passage means underneath all those words like hate father-mother sister and brother 
She writes: 

“At the heart of discipleship is transformation. The cost of discipleship is not just becoming accumulators of new information about living life fully, or changing behavior in regards to Jesus teaching.  The cost [of discipleship] is engaging in a profoundly radical shift toward the ethics of Jesus with every fiber of our being.”   [What would it look like for us to make a radical shift towards the ethics of Jesus with every fiber of our being?] She continues, “there is no driftwood in discipleship, as we are called to live lives of complete devotion to God.  Jesus reminds us in today’s passage from Luke that following him means we cannot be shallow or uncommitted believers…”[1]

 When we hear passages like this- hate father, mother-- our first thought should be oh yeah--Jesus means business… the call before us to follow him is not easy or un-challenging. Discipleship may mean devoting our lives to Him- as much as we devote our lives to our husbands and wives- to our children.     

I would imagine that two miles down the road- deep in the locker room at the Ralph- Doug Marrone is looking into the eyes EJ Manuel and Mario Williams  and all the rest of the buffalo bills saying- there is only one way to play the game today- there is only one way to beat the New England Patriot—you are going to have leave everything you brought with you today out on  that turf.   

There is only one way to be a disciple- there is only one way to follow. We have to leave everything out there.  

This passage reminds us that There are to be no shallow or uncommitted believers… —were are not playing church or were playing followers as little children might play house or kitchen.  The kingdom depends picking up crosses, reordering our priorities- complete devotion to God.

The good news is that Jesus invites to this life of disciple- and when we engage it --- the kingdom of God tears into this world and live are transformed, people are healed, and downtrodden are lifted up- and peace flows.   We get to participate in that life – Oh my gosh what privilege- what honor that we get to do that.   But it’s not easy and it demands that every fiber of our being be involved.   Are you up to challenge?  AMEN



[1] Feasting on the Word, Year C, Volume 4  pg. 48

No comments:

Post a Comment