Sunday, August 25, 2013

"What Kind of Christianity are we called to live?" A sermon based on Luke 13:10-17


As you can probably imagine -I tend to go to church while on vacation.  Now when I am on vacation, I don’t show up at church in my full clergy regalia- white collar, black shirt, the whole nine yards-- that stuff stays home.  -- Usually I show up with shorts, tee shirt and almost always with some thick stubble on my face.
Now the first Sunday of my vacation –I believe it or not went church.   There were so many great things this church- the worship was  inspiring and wonderful- they did a great job incorporating children into the service, the sermon I can still remember the sermon--  That’s always a positive.  At announcement time, there was a concerted effort to welcome new folks-   they were particularly intentional about inviting newcomers to coffee hour and making sure newcomers grabbed a welcome packet. They sang a beautiful rendition of the Lord’s Prayer. 

After the service ended, I went to coffee hour at this church—in fact you couldn’t escape it.  Coffee hour was by the front door.  . - - there was an incredible spread- pastries, sandwiches- fresh fruit.  I grabbed a few things- stepped away from the table and began to nimble on my coffee cake— while I was standing there  eating for about five minutes not a soul spoke with me.  A few polite smiles as people passed by, but not a word like have we me I felt terrible- invisible and uncared for.    

After a few more minutes of being ignored, I decided to try to make it more obvious that I was a visitor--so I held my newcomer packet that I had across my chest kind of like this.   Now right on the front of the packet in big letters it said newcomer packet- for another five minutes people swirled about the room but sadly not a thing.  A few polite smiles, but no- one willing to stop and introduce themselves, no one willing to say hello. I left church feeling invisible. 

But the story doesn’t end there.  As I was driving home, I pulled up to a stop light I saw a woman sitting on the grass holding a sign that said something like “hungry, can you help?”  She looked in pretty rough shape- dirty- probably hadn’t bathed in few days- sunburned.  My first thought was to just drive off, but I had just had this moment where I knew what it was like to be invisible, to be uncared for- I knew that I couldn’t just drive away.   

As the light changed to green-  I  was still processing how to respond when I saw a farmer’s market just  a little ways up the road—the proverbial light bulb went off-- I knew that I had to get her some food from the market.  I purchase a loaf of bread and a quart of blueberries. With food in hand- I went to deliver the food.
I found out that the woman’s name was Barbara and that she had recently left an abusive relationship- and she told me that she was safer out on the streets with nothing.  Barbara was making her way to Connecticut- to try to connect with her daughter.  

Maybe she was lying but what if she wasn’t- what if she needed to know that someone cared enough to stop- that someone cared enough to recognize that she in fact had value- value regardless of whether or not she was an addict or mentally ill or something else.  

One of unwritten rules we live with here in the US tells us that it’s ok to walk right by a stranger-to treat them as if they are invisible--  and particularly if that stranger looks like Barbara.  The unwritten rules tell us it’s ok not acknowledge Barbara’s presence. The rules also tell us to be careful she might be trying to play the system- she might just be an addict looking to score some money to find her next fix.  She might just be lazy not wanting to get a job. 

But the Jesus we follow doesn’t always play by the rules that we govern our lives by.   When Jesus saw the crippled woman in the synagogue that Sabbath day - a woman bent over for eighteen years- he could have played by the rules-- he could have easily said- you know what it’s  the Sabbath- my hands are tied not allowed to work-  I can’t help.   He also could have easily said this woman- her being crippled was probably her own doing.  Remember that in Jesus day- people believed that physical ailments or impairments were the work of a God who was punishing someone for some sort of sin.    

 But the story tells us Jesus doesn’t play by the rules that the religious establishment of the day were playing by –he doesn’t the even play by  the rules that you and I we play by-  Jesus actions are governed by  deep love and compassion and because of that Jesus stretches out his hands  on the Sabbath and heals the crippled woman. 

Bishop Michael Curry the bishop of North Carolina, product of St. Philip’s Church right here in Buffalo- in his sermon to the General Convention last year said this ----“We need some Christians who are as crazy as the Lord. Crazy enough to love like Jesus, to give like Jesus, to forgive like Jesus, to do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with God— [just] like Jesus.  [We need some Christians] crazy enough to dare to change the world from the nightmare it often is---- into something close to the dream that God dreams for it...”
If you want to see that sermon google Bishop Curry Sermon General Convention-

Now Bishop Curry didn’t read it – “we need some Christians who are as crazy as Jesus” ---Bishop Curry was fired up- he was bringing it.  Because he knows the urgency of the situation he knows that the world needs Crazy Christians –who aren’t  going to play by the rules- he knows that- we need to be  those Christians-who love like Jesus, who give like Jesus, who forgive like Jesus-  who  to do justice- love mercy and walk humbly with God.

Today, we will be baptizing two beautiful babies and that is the Christianity we called to raise them in.  Not some sanitized- white gloved- prim and proper Christianity- not polite smile Christianity- We will baptize two babies into a Christianity that doesn’t  ignore the stranger whether they are standing in the corner of a parish hall or are standing on the street corner with sign that “Reads, I’m hungry.” We need a Christianity that governed by  acts of love, by compassion-- a Christianity that dares us to change the nightmare that the world often is.  We need a Christianity that respects the dignity of human being-  that respects even someone like Barbara- whether she scamming us or not.  

We are called craziness.   Can we go there? Will we go there?  Will we teach our children about this Christianity?

God’s dream depends on it.

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment