Monday, November 18, 2019

"Watch out for the Doomsday Deceivers."

Every so often I’ll be down there at the center of the church reading the Gospel lesson  and I will get the end of the gospel and I will raise it up and say the “Gospel of the Lord.” And as I’m saying that rolling through my head is the thought  “Good news… is this good news?”  

Remember that the word Gospel comes from a Greek word euaggelion which literally means a good message or good news.  The Good new according to Luke… the good news according to Matthew or Mark or John… this Gospel that we read that is the center of our liturgy is good news.
Today challenges that assertion.... doesn’t sound like good news… wars and insurrections…  famines and plagues and earthquakes… dreadful portents.  

What exactly is a dreadful portent? I don’t know but it sounds pretty awful.   

Families turning in on themselves, prisons and death…   
Now I’m sure there are loads of questions… and I, unfortunately, can't answer them all in the space of this sermon. 

So I want to simply drill down into one particular section.  Jesus warning …Jesus warning to beware….
Let me read it again.

“Beware that you are not led astray; for many will come in my name and say, `I am he!' and, `The time is near!' Do not go after them.” Jesus says.      

Let me read Eugene Peterson’s paraphrase of this particular verse.

Watch out for the Doomsday Deceivers![ Isn’t that a great way to start]  Watch out for the Doomsday deceivers. Many leaders are going to show up with forged identities claiming, ‘I am the one’ or ‘The end is near’ Don’t fall for any of that.  When you hear of wars and uprisings, keep your head and don’t panic[1]

So often in these passages, I get sucked into the darkness the wars, the pestilence, the dreadful portents...that I miss the subtle warnings... to watch out for those who might lead us astray… to  Watch out for what Peterson calls the doomsday deceivers.  

Doomsday deceivers are people who say that the sky is falling when maybe it really isn’t… Or it’s so so terrible when maybe it really isn’t.  

But then they say the sky is falling but I am just the guy to fix it… I am the guy you need… 
Peterson says don’t fall for that---keep your head--- don’t panic.  

With the warning to watch come two things---- the first is to commit to be people of discernment -- I think we are called to discern whether the people around us---- are leading us rightly.   

How do we discern that?  For me, I think it comes back to something I heard Bishop Curry say some time ago--that it has to begin and end with love---if it doesn’t begin and end with love, he says it’s not of God. And that the people we are to follow are to begin with love in mind and end with love in mind.  
But also that’s the leadership we are called to display…to be leaders who begin and end with love… 
During his royal wedding sermon, Bishop curry asked some of the most powerful people on the planet to imagine what it would be like to begin and end with love. He said,  

Imagine our homes and families where love is the way. 
Imagine neighborhoods and communities where love is the way.
Imagine governments and nations where love is the way. Imagine business and commerce where this love is the way.
Imagine this tired old world where love is the way. When love is the way - unselfish, sacrificial, redemptive.
When love is the way, then no child will go to bed hungry in this world ever again.
When love is the way, we will let justice roll down like a mighty stream and righteousness like an ever-flowing brook.
When love is the way, poverty will become history. When love is the way, the earth will be a sanctuary.
When love is the way, we will lay down our swords and shields, down by the riverside, to study war no more.
When love is the way, there's plenty good room - plenty good room - for all of God's children.[2]

We need people who lead us that begin and end with love… When we lead in our homes, our workplaces, our churches  --coaching on the soccer field or at the ice rink, we need to begin and end with love… 

Second and lastly it’s about making sure we are looking up looking to the right places for our help.  That there will be wars and insurrections..and school shooting and disease and famine and earthquakes and dreadful portent… and death.  

That’s life so where do we turn when the sky is really falling ...I think the canticle we sang a few moments ago says it best…
Surely, it is God who saves me; *
I will trust in him and not be afraid.
For the Lord is my stronghold and my sure defense, *
and he will be my Savior.

So dear friends beware of those who say I have the answers----- beware of those who do not begin and end with love.   And may we always be challenged to begin with love and end with love in mind… and when all else fails, remember where to turn the only one who can save us. 

AMEN


1 comment: