Sunday, January 20, 2019

Sean and Racism


 A few years back , I was traveling home with group of colleagues. That morning there were four of us on the same flight so we shared a cab and checked in together at the airport.   As dumb luck would have it, we each received pre-check status for the security line and thought we would easily breeze through.   
As we were moving through security, one of my colleagues, a black man was selected for a little extra scrutiny even though we were in pre-check line.   As I watched him have his bags searched and having to remove his shoes and belt, I couldn’t help but think that often my experience as a white person in this country is radically different than that of my black brothers and sisters.  It may have been random, but I wondered given all that has gone on in our country in recent years.  

A few years ago, I was shocked to learn about “the talk” that black parents often have with their children.  I don’t know if you’ve heard about "the talk," but this talk has nothing to do with the birds and the bees.  This talk is about how to act when approached by a police officer or person in authority.  Black parent tell their kids thing like be polite,  stay calm, use words like mam or sir or officer, keep your hand where they can been seen at all times, don’t make sudden movements  and follow the directions of officers.   They remind their kids not to wear their hood over their heads and  many many other things that I’ve never had to talk to my kids about.   

As we celebrate and commemorate Martin Luther King Jr's’s birthday tomorrow,  I thought today would be a good day to just talk about all this.  

 In a few minutes, we will baptize this beautiful young lady Genevieve and welcome her into this Christian community.  During the baptismal liturgy there will be three times where Genevieve and her family will be asked to renounce evil and spiritual forces and wickedness.  Those renunciations  are our reminder that part of our work is to say no to wickedness, to say no to evil, to say no to bigotry and bias and racism.

If that isn’t enough shortly there after in the liturgy we the entire church will renew our baptismal covenant and in that covenant on the last question  we will promise with every fiber of our being to strive for justice and peace among all people.   

Some of this work begins by looking inward.   As many of you know during my last call I worked in the suburb of Buffalo called Orchard Park.  One of Orchard Park’s claims to fame is that the Buffalo’s Bills stadium and practice facility are there.  So it was quite common to see football players and coaches in the community at restaurants or grocery stores and living in Orchard Park.  One day as I was out and about, I saw a black person in the local coffee shop and my first thought was to wonder who that player is.    A few seconds later I realized just how subtly racist that thought had been and how whenever I saw a person of color I wondered if they were part of the team. 

Ever since that day I have been troubled by those thoughts…why had I assumed a person of color would be associated with the team… what subtle forces around me had acted to shape my thoughts in that direction.  Ever since it has reminded me that racism can be very subtle and even unintentional.  I wouldn’t think of my self as racist, but somehow racism had shaped me to think in certain ways.    

A few weeks ago just after Christmas I came across an article in Christianity today entitled  Ten myths white people believe about racism[1] I’d like to share with you two of those myths.

The first myth is Racism is not our problem.  The article says if we’ve ever felt uncomfortable in the presence of a black person  racism might be our problem… If we’ve felt the impulse to ask a black person where they are from.... it might be our problem.   If we’ve ever thought a black person was this occupation or that… then it might be our problem. 

Another myth… is racism is about hateful actions and words…  that it’s about people who use the “n” word ….while racism is about this…. it’s also about many more subtle things that go on in our country like differences in pay, housing discrimination, mortgage lending,  or increased rates of policing and incarceration.

Racism is seen when we fail to work to change these sorts of things.

These are but two of ten myths,  I invite you to read the article, I will blast it out in the next few days. 

The article concludes that this work is about deep relational conversations about the myths  and misconceptions we have.  This work is about wondering why we feel or think this way or that.   It’s about understand the complexity of the problem and then working to address it. 
Folks this is good and holy work.

When God lays down his head at night God dreams of a world where there is no racism and where  justice and peace are afforded to all people.  If it is God’s dream  then as followers of Jesus  it is our dream and our work too.   

AMEN




No comments:

Post a Comment