Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Sermon based on the Parable of the Sower

One of the things that I love to do is garden- particularly grow vegetables. There is something incredibly satisfying about growing a plump- juicy red tomato from little tiny seed.  Over the last six years I have put in four raised bed vegetable gardens out behind the rectory.

Now toward the end of May,  when we can be assured of no further snow--- I begin the planting process.  Now I am a guy who likes to follow directions. The first year I began gardening- I carefully followed every instructions on the seed packets of  how to plant.  If the packet said that plants should be eighteen inches apart- by Golly I had my yard stick out there and was measuring precisely where I should plant each plant. If the seed was to be sown in a half inch of soil- by golly I planted the seed a half inch down -- I followed this orderly planting process.  I’ve moved away from that but still…

This method of planting-  is not the method of planting subscribed to by the sower of today’s parable.  The sower doesn’t have a measuring stick out to  make sure each seed is placed precisely where it needs to be. No the sower from the parable subscribes to a method of planting this method is called broadcasting. 
Broadcasting is taking a big handful of seed and just tossing it everywhere- indiscriminately scattering of seed

The sower does not paying close attention to the “precision planting  instructions you find on the back of a Burpee seed packet.   

The sower toss his seed to and from- the parable tells us that some of the seeds lands on the  hard path where Jesus says it is quickly gobbled up by birds,  some of the seed lands on rocky soil where it can’t take root, other seed lands among thorns where it is easily choked  out, but seed  lands on good- fertile- healthy soil – where it takes root and grows into beautiful plants.  And the yield is amazing. 

Welcome to the parables folks—we have entered a portion of the lectionary where we will have a number of parables tossed at us throughout the summer.

C. H. Dodd-- distinguished biblical scholar said something to the effect that parables are meant “to tease the mind into active thought.”[1] Yes they certainly do that, I am often scratching my head after reading a parable wondering-  but I like  the way my colleague Steve Pankey describes parables- he calls parables “auditory hand grenades----- dropped by Jesus in[to] our brains just waiting to explode with meaning.”[2]

Often after reading a parable- it feels like a hand grenade went has gone off in my head. 

One of the things I read this week about this particular parable is that Jesus may have used this parable to help his followers understand why or why not there was growth in the kingdom of God.  If the seed or the word of God was scattered on hard, crusty closed off “path”  people-it wasn’t able to penetrate and then there was no growth.  If it fell among thorns- it was choked – if it fell on Good soil it flourished.

But what good is that for today.  Where can find meaning in this parable?

Now my immediate reaction to this parable is to look at people and begin assigning different soil types to the people I encounter -- I begin to look and say that guy- he’s definitely rock soil- he has no root.
Or that person hard and crusty- path person nothing seems to penetrate.

Let me just say that  way of interpreting  that’s bad—worse yet –  is when I automatically assume – I am fertile-- good soil- where God’s word is going to blossom

I guess if  I am honest  I can say there are times that I find all these soil types in my life. 

If I am honest there are times that I am very much closed off to work and movement of God- hard and crusty path-where the work and movement of the kingdom of God just bounces off and can’t penetrate.  Don’t see it- don’t experience it.

If I am honest there are times when the thorns overtake the growth and choke out the work of God in my life-these are times when my priorities get out of line and I am distracted--- the parable mentions  priorities like worldly ambitions and wealth and how those can sometime easily choke out the word of God.

If I am honest there are also times when I am distracted by trouble or difficulties that happen those are times when toward anxiety  and fear take center stage rather than  turning toward Christ- that’s when my faith is shallow and I have very little root.

And I guess- if I am also honest there are time when the soil is just right and the stars align and I am able to receive the word of God and movement of God in my life bears much fruit.

Several years ago, I went on a church retreat.  On the first evening, at the opening worship service- I sat down next to a person who quite obviously didn't want to be there on the retreat.  Arms crossed- scowling face—there was almost a palpable negative energy coming from this guys.  It was so palpable- that I was wondering why- was he here. 

But over the course of the weekend- this guy became a changed person-  by the end of the weekend- there was and openness and a joy deep within this man that had been evident on Friday Night. And I realize now that I am not very good at judging soils types-- God had cast some seed into this man’s life and the kingdom began to blossom- obviously the soil was just right – when I would not a chance in hell. 

What I find hopeful is that God, the sower is constantly broadcasting seed and he generously sows on all-- God generously sows seeds of life into our lives and into our communities and into our churches.  And  that seed sinks down into and the kingdom of God, the kingdom of heaven burst forth in our lives and in our communities.  

Our job isn't so much as to worry about the soil- and who’s this kind of soil or who’s that kind of soil- because we are not very good at that.

I think our job is to celebrate the kingdom-- the abundant yield- to go to the place where the kingdom is tearing through the soil and to celebrate its presence.
One of the greatest joys of my priesthood is that I  often get to watch the kingdom of God tear through the soil into our lives and into this world.

Peace that overtakes someone as they draw their last breaths—that’s the kingdom tearing through.  Moments of forgiveness and reconciliation that finally emerge after years of deep pain and suffering-that’s the kingdom—someone finally able to escape the clutches of an abusive relationship in that white house down the street-- that’s the kingdom- a smile- a door held open—the kingdom tearing through the soil. Someone struggling with the demons of addiction or mental illness and trying their darnedest to scrape and claw their ways free- that’s the kingdom .Forty Kids hopping on a bus to go into New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. A mother lovingly rocking her colicky baby at 3:57 in the morning that’s the kingdom. 

Go today and look for the kingdom- for God has cast his seed and it is blossoming – maybe just maybe you might see the seed emerge and find a glimpse of heaven. 
AMEN






No comments:

Post a Comment