Sunday, January 19, 2014

Come and See: A Sermon based on John 1:29-42

2nd Sunday after the Epiphany: Come and See

One of the things that parents often know about their kids or write down in a baby book somewhere is what their children’s first words were?  Usually those first words are mama or dada- When I asked my wife last night what Alexis and Caden’s first words were she replied in somewhat of a snarky voice probably dada.  Now that’s something I should remember.   The good news is that I am certain that my wife has it written down somewhere. 

Today we are treated in John’s Gospel with Jesus first words-  not an infantile first utterance  that he cooed at Mary as she looked loving into his infant eyes-- not of mama or dada, but the first words that gospel writer John places on his lips. 

And they are actually somewhat forgettable—What are you looking for? Jesus says.    It a question posed to two men who will become his disciples, but for right now they’re just men who  just following him maybe the way teenage girls might follow a pop superstar to see where he’s going.    
What are you looking for? Other interpretations translate it  What are you after? Jesus says to the men. 
The men ask:  “Teacher, where are you staying?”

Come and see.  Come and see— Jesus first words are not a directive like in Mark- "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men." His first words here are "What are you looking for?" a soothing pastoral question followed by a  simple invitation to come and see to come and explore more deeply who the lamb of God really is?

What are you looking for?  That is a question not only for those two men –stumbling down the dusty road after the lamb of God? But it is a question for us? What are we looking for from God?  What propelled us to get up out of bed, climb the stair and place our rear ends in these cold hard pews-what are we looking for?  What are we looking for in our spiritual lives?   Are we looking to connect more deeply with God and with each other? Are we looking for healing for something that really, really hurts? Are we looking to be forgiveness for the unpardonable? 

And maybe we don’t even know – maybe there is a restlessness in our souls? I stumbled along for a long time not really even know what I was looking for- other than that in my mid-twenties I had an urge- a restlessness a voice that was saying go to church, connect with God.  What are we looking for? What are we after? 

When the two guys who are following answer that question- the best they can come up with is where are you staying-what kind of question is that?    Where are you staying? 

But Jesus engages what seems to be a dumb question- says come and see! Jesus invites them to walk with him to come spend some time with him- to see who he is and what he’s all about. 

In 1999,  Chrishelle and I landed at a church named St. Thomas in Lancaster Pennsylvania- we had been dabbling in church life and the Episcopal church while Chrishelle was doing graduate work- so when we moved to Lancaster we thought we would dabble some more in the Episcopal church- so we sought out St. Thomas.  Shortly after arriving at  St. Thomas we found out that they had a strong Alpha program- Alpha is a ten week introductory course on Christianity- based around a retreat weekend. 

Now, Whenever St. Thomas started a new Alpha course they would invite previous participants to share about their experiences of Alpha during church services. Well one Sunday shortly after we arrived- a gentleman by the name of John stood up to give a short testimony about Alpha.  He introduced himself and said something like I’m not  a man of many words, so will cut straight to the chase- and what he said next  I can remember this as clear as day he said next- I can remember him standing at the pulpit.  He said, “Alpha changed my life.”And I leaned over and whispered in Chrishelle’s ear and said “yeah right Alpha changed his life.” probably had slight chuckle in my.  But my curiosity was peaked-  so when he invited the congregation to come and check it out I said to Chrishelle "let’s try it."

Well Alpha did something- or God’s spirit sure did--that began me moving down the path I am on.  John’s invitation that day was  simply come and see. Come and try.   That’s the invitation that Christ extends- to his followers  that he extends  to us.  Come and See!

Come and see what I am about Come and see if the life I offer is better than the life you can make on your own.

Come and see if the rest seek, if the healing you need can be found in me

Come and see that despite all the bad that swirls around us that my kingdom is also breaking into this world.

Come and see if I can provide what you are looking for? 

I have found again and again that my faith has grown and my relationship with God has been strengthened when I have accepted Christ invitation to come and see.   Often though it has meant stepping my comfort zone- doing something I wasn’t necessarily inclined to do. 

Over the last fifteen years Jesus has invited me to again and again to come and see- by going on short term mission trips like Haiti or Mississippi or into buffalo. Jesus has invited me to come and see how prayer or reading Holy Scripture strengthens my life.  He’s invited me to take part in programs like Alpha or go on spiritual retreats- He’s invited me to forgive the unforgivable and to touch the untouchables.  He’s invited me to come and try ministries that I never would imagine I could be involved.  He’s invited to let go of selfishness to see that there might be another, better way to than my selfish- short sighted way of doing something.

Just last Thursday- I drove by that sign outside that right now is advertising our healing service- and I thought I need that right not- not because I was physically ill, but because I had something I needed God to help me deal with.  Jesus was inviting me to come and see if he could handle that thing that I was finding so stressful- and praise God he did. 

The Gospel writer tells us that Andrew accepted Jesus invitation to come and see- and when Andrew went and saw he found the Messiah.  This so transforms that he goes and tells his brother  – come and see what I’ve found. And they become disciples.

What we will find when we accept Christ invitation to come and see? Will we find what we are looking for? And maybe just maybe we might something better than we ever expected? Where is Christ inviting you to come and see?

When that invitation comes---- I invite you to take a deep breath- to summon up all the courage you have to say yes Jesus I will come and see.


AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment