Friday, April 5, 2013

Prayers for Phoenix

Last fall in Buffalo, a small puppy named Phoenix was doused with lighter fluid and set on fire by a man named Adell Ziegler.  Miracously, Phoenix survived the horrific ordeal .  The support and prayers for this little puppy in the Buffalo area has been overwhelming.  Phoenix is now thriving and almost ready to be adopted.   He is truly a beautiful little puppy. Mr. Ziegler will stand trial later this month.  Mr. Ziegler's accomplice,  the lookout, Diondre Brown has already plead guilty.  


In my Facebook news feed this morning I came across a string  of comments inviting folks to continue to pray for Phoenix as  the trial for Mr. Ziegler approaches. As I scrolled through the comments I immediately thought shouldn't I also be  praying for Adell Ziegler and  Diondre Brown.  Hasn't Christ exhorted his followers to love their enemies and pray for those who persecute them? (Matthew 5:44)

Let me go on record also as saying that Mr. Ziegler and Mr. Brown deserve to be receive whatever punishment the law inflicts upon them.  What they have done is unconscionable and horrific.

However, am I not still exhorted to love my enemies and offer my prayers for them regardless of their horrific nature of their crime?

Perhaps what makes this easier for me is remembering that "agape" love, the type of love Christ is exhorting in this passage, is a love that sacrifices for the other and is action based. As 21st century Americans, we  often associate  love with feelings and emotions, kind of like we might find written on a Hallmark card .  But the love Christ exhorts us to in  Matthew 5:44 is not based on our feelings toward our enemies.  

So today, I will make prayers for Phoenix and, somewhat begrudgingly, I pray for Adell and Diondre.

No comments:

Post a Comment