Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sermon for Advent II

2nd Sunday of Advent Luke 3:1-6
After reading the Gospel lesson for the first time last week- one of the first thoughts was I had was thank God Deacon Lee gets to read this lesson- Today’s Gospel  is the type of lesson that make our lectors break into a cold sweat- that keep Lectors up at night-- some of the  names are absolutely brutal-  Trachonitis and Tiberius, and Caiaphas and Ituraea.But while this might be a nightmare for those who have to read these texts—Luke has a very specific reason for giving his readers this type of information.

“In the fifteenth year of the reign of the emperor Tiberius, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea and Herod was ruler of Galilee, and his brother Philip ruler of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis and Lysanias ruler of Abilene, during the high-priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness.”  Luke 3:1-2

Luke wants to firmly cement this thing we call the incarnation- God becoming flesh and dwelling among us—Luke wants to firmly  cement the ministry of John as a very distinct point history-   Luke specifically wants his audience to know that God tore open the world and  became in flesh right at this particular- point in history.   He doesn't want to start his story with vague references-  Like George Lucas begins Star Wars- “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.” He wants these events firmly planted in history- and he uses this list of who’s of who of the Judea, and Jerusalem to get the job done.

But not only does he  use this list of leaders of  to cement Jesus and John the Baptist and the incarnation   firmly in History, he also this list  show his readers who God bypasses when God decides to  come and do His work ---when God sends out his word. 

In the fifteenth year of the reign of the Emperor Tiberius… the word of God came not to Tiberius as he was sitting on the throne- slave wafting a palm branch over his head  while holding court-  commanding one of the greatest empires in history-

the word of God came not to the high priests  --Annas or Caiaphas as they were preparing the incense and the sacrifices  to worship God in the temple,

the word of God did come to  John’s father  a priest, a holy man-- Zechariah,  but the word of God came to the snotty nosed pastor’s kid--John and it came not in the not in some holy temple place like the temple in Jerusalem but the word of God came to John in the wilderness. 

So what does this tell us about God? What might this tell us that God willingly bypass the kings and  the emperors and the elite- and even his royal priesthood-  to do his work? What does this tell us about God who sends his words to the snotty nose pastor’s kid, the only ordinary Joe in this particular story?  

Do you think that perhaps if God is working in John’s life he might just be at work in you and I?  Do you think that if God sends his word to John he might just his word to us too?  Ordinary folks, like John. 

If God is sending his word to ordinary folks like you and I are we looking for it.  Have we stopped- (remember last week Advent is about stopping)-- have we stopped and taken some time to look for words that God might be sending us? 

As some of you may know, I wandered away from the church for most of the 1990’s. Those were my college years and my early twenties- for some of us that was the thing to do.  Sometime in 1997-- I wandered back into the church and recommitted myself to Jesus Christ.   As  a part of that re commitment and search to find God, I did something very un-Episcopalian-  I began to read the bible daily-  As I dashed between clients I  would stop at a park outside of Reading, Pennsylvania to eat lunch and read my bible.

One day I opened my bible up to read and the scripture that   I read that day was a piece of scripture from Mark where Jesus says to his followers-- “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink or what you will wear. ”

 As I sat there on that picnic bench and read those words—Do not worry about your life—  it was as if God hit me square between the eyes--it was as if Mark had  penned those words just for me -  as I sat there reading that passage it was as if Jesus was whispering those words into my ears—“Sean, do not worry about what’s going on in  your life-  I am taking care of it.”  

That sort of thing had never happened to me- never had Holy scripture so spoken to what was going on in my life--- the funny thing is that I cannot remember for the life of me what I was worried about, but what was amazing was God had sent his word to me--- As you can imagine- it was an incredible moment.

Sometimes God’s words come to us wrapped up in the words of the that big red book- Holy Scripture- as phobic as we Episcopalians may be about reading those words- we don’t need a PH.D. in Biblical Studies- we don’t need to understand every last intricate detail of what you are reading for God to send his word- God seems to work in spite of us- we just need a willingness to dust off the cover, to open the book, and read something- and then to look, to see what captures our imagination.  And in that moment- God may be sending, a word, his word to us. 

In the fifteenth year of the reign of the Emperor Tiberius, the word of God came to John, and if it comes to John- it might just might come to you and to me.  And that is good news.  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment